Washougal MX Park opened in April of 1972 and has hosted a round of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship every year but once since 1980 (the year of the Mount St. Helens volcano eruption, mere miles away). Washougal is known as one of the most scenic circuits in the entire sport, and many manufacturers and sponsors use the facility for television commercials and photo shoots. The track itself is located in the foothills of southwest Washington, amid a forest of fir trees near the Washougal River, with the beautiful Columbia River at the bottom of the mountain. It's an old-school motocross facility where spectators can enjoy the sights and sounds of racing up close as the track winds through many elevation changes, such as the famous Horsepower Hill and Scott Ski Jump.
A motocross fan first and foremost, track owner/promoter Ralph Huffman worked himself into the ownership role at the facility because of his love not only for the Washougal track itself, but for motorcycle racing in general.
"I got into the sport when my boys started racing flat track and motocross," Huffman explains. "I began to help out Clarks Branch Cycle Club in Roseburg, Washington, where my boys practiced frequently. I had access to equipment that could benefit the facility. From there, I kept helping out more and more.
"In 1980 Wally Brosamle, the promoter for Washougal, asked me to help out the first year they hosted an AMA Pro Motocross Championship event," Huffman continues. "Each year I helped out with the national. In 1985, he sold out to Bill Cantrell and I offered to continue to help with the event."
But things did not go so smoothly, and the track was removed from the national schedule in 1987. "That's when I stepped up to take over the facility with the help of my wife, Carolyn." Huffman adds. It didn't take long for the AMA to take notice, and in 1988, the national returned. Since then, the facility has boasted improvements every year. "I finally bought the facility in 1995," Huffman explains, "and we've hosted a national every year since and look forward to many more to come."
Washougal MX Park
40912 NE Borin Rd
Washougal, WA 98671
- Open Air Festival Seating
- Infield Track Viewing via Seven Track Tunnels
- Large interactive Sponsor Village
- Food and Soft Drink Concessions
- Onsite Camping
- Enjoy fishing in our private stocked pond
- Grandstand Seating
- VIP Super ticket Viewing Areas with live PA feed, live timing and scoring, live race footage, private restrooms, and catering
- Shaded Picnic Areas
- Nearly 100% track Viewing from a variety of vantage points
- Event Simulcast on FM Radio
- Beer Concessions
- Onsite Parking
- Motorcycle Parking
- Handicap Parking
- RV septic pump service
- Pets must be leashed at all times and remain in your camp site
- No alcohol allowed to be brought into the park during the National event
- No firearms allowed in the park at anytime
- Cash Only
- Portland, OR:
Take I-5 to I-205 to Hwy 14. Go East to Washougal. On 15th Street, turn left. Go 8 ½ miles to 412th. Make a left on 412th / Alder Rd. To Borin Rd, turn Left. Track is ½ mile down on the right.
View Larger Map
Where To Stay
- Heathman Lodge - 360-254-3100
- Holiday Inn Express - 360-253-5000
- Phoenix Inn - 360-891-09777
- Residence Inn - 360-253-4800
- Springhill Suites - 360-250-5910
- Staybridge Suites - 360-891-8282